Skip to main content

COMMUNICATION - Part 4

COMMUNICATION Part 4

SURESH on 17 Oct 2004

Dear all,

COMMUNICATION. In fact this mail from RC really probed me and the outcome is evident. Really it worked wonders with me to come out of shell. Thanks a lot RC for bringing out such a wonderful piece. As a matter of fact the credit goes to one and all in our GRS group.

It is one habit that was deeply inculcated in me by Appa. He used to allow me to write at least 10 lines in all the letters which he wrote to all. I still remember that I got encouragement for those writings from all elders in our group.

I can visualize the writings of Thatha, Patti. Last Year Ramamurthy Athimber gave one such copy of letter to Appa in which Patti wrote a beautiful letter to Saroja Atthai indicating to the minutest detail and listing things required after delivery. Similarly the running handwriting of thatha with those beautiful strokes spoke volumes of emotions.

Even now, the folder system is being maintained by Appa. I used to read all those letters whenever I go on leave. Though I come to know the things earlier but reading those letters later during my annual vacation gives a lot of pleasure and it simply gives the feeling that you are there with everybody at the same time.

I silently admire all those letters. In the present context I enjoy all emails for each one containing all the ingredients irrespective of the aspect covered. When I am writing this piece I have received a letter from Appa with all possible details about their recent Chennai/ TV malai trip. Without even attending the marriage or without meeting anybody, I could feel that I have attended the marriage and met one and all. Such was the clarity, coherence and power behind that letter!! I thanked Appa silently for that fantastic effort and making possible for me to relive all events in 40 minutes!!!

Going back to my Polytechnic days and formative Air Force years had given me a similar kind of emotion. During training we used to have a lunch break of one hour and in that 600 people should finish lunch. The Mess capacity is around 100 people per batch. Almost every body will be rushing to mess to have a quick grab. But all have one daily activity in common. All will go to their rooms to find one letter in their bed which will be opened in a flash and rush to mess and one goes through that letter as many as possible times before you land up in front of the counter where food is served!!. There are also days when you do not receive letters, but the routine never changes as we used to read the old letters all over again and again. In Defence terminology we mention “Dry day’’ indicating no letters. Those are sad days. Letter writing was a hobby, passion and getting replies for the same, one get unlimited happiness.

Life in Air Force had its own way of exacting demands. On number of occasions during bachelor days, I used to feel all alone though lot of friends always were there around me. But letters were the medicines which used to bring back me in track. On one occasion I was alone for one month in Guwahati in Apr 1997, newly transferred to that place. Vaishali and Vishnu were in Pune with parents since I had to look for a home and receive all things from kanpur. I listened this song “ Sandese Aathe hain” from Border for the first time. It brought memories of the past. I still have those lines with me like a treasured possession for I can identify myself with that scenario many a times.

To conclude, I agree fully that communication is the essence of life. It provides meaning, substance and adds lot of memories to the beautiful life. Let me try my level best. Three Cheers for happy communication!!! Long live GRS group!!.

Regards,
Suresh
17 Oct 2004 11:30AM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kumar-Lalitha Sashti Aptha Poorthy

Kumar celebrated his Sashti Aptha Poorthy (60th birthday) on 03 June 2009 at Annanagar West. Rudra Ekadasi was performed at 05:00 AM; we didn't attend this. Ganesan had come from Mumbai on 2nd June afternoon 1:30 PM and he stayed with us. Ramani came by train on 2nd morning and he stayed with Lalitha at Avadi. On 3rd, we two and Ganesan took ARUN's car with a driver and went to Annanagar by 0815. The rituals were going on already. Indira, Sruthi, Akila, Raja, Aparna, Jyotsna were already there. Later, Saroja, Athimber came. Gayathri, Sowmya, Sriram came with Sudha and her inlaws in a calltaxi. Krithika came with Aditi in their car, with a driver. Arvind took ill suddenly, so he couldn't come. TSG and mami came. The function was a nice one; it was over by 1215 PM. After lunch all of us started leaving. We were home by 2-15PM. rajappa 11:00 am on 6 June 2009

TRVG's daughter's Marriage

TR Venugopal is known to us since 1971 from our Poona days. He is now Senior Accounts officer at DMRL, Hyderabad. He performed the marriage of his daughter JANANI with Natarajan at Nanganallur Chennai on Sunday, 10th July 2011. Vijaya and I attended it. Venugopal on the right, his wife Saraswathi on the left We left house at 6-10 AM in Wagon-R and reached the Rama Mandiram Kalyana Mandapam at Nanganallur by 6-50. The Mandapam is just next to the Anjaneyar Koil. There we met my former colleagues at ERDL Cell, DRDL Hyd. Ganesan, Nair, Jagadeesan, Saibaba, Subba Reddy, Srinivasa Reddy, S Venugopala Murthy, Venkataramaiah, Ramakrishnaiah, Kaleeswaran, Mohan Rao, Rangarajan etc; they had come with their wives. Ganesan and his wife Gomathi with us NAIR (behind Vijaya) his daughter PREETHI (next to Vijaya) Preethi's husband (Airforce, Agra) is also seen. Venkataramaiah, Srinivas Reddy, Ramakrishnaiah, ME, SVG Murthy, his wife Vijaya, Saibaba's wife, Saibaba Ramalakshmi, now a

Anna Centenary Library, Kotturpuram

ANNA CENTENARY LIBARARY (அண்ணா நூற்றாண்டு நூலகம்) is a newly established State Library of Tamilnadu. It was declared open on 15th Sept 2010. Located in Kotturpuram, Chennai. This last Sunday, 1st May 2011, we hit upon the idea - we will go and see this library. No serious reason, but a sudden whiff of fancy. Vijaya, her old classmate and friend Mrs Prema, and I left house at 3-30PM. A bus upto Madhya Kailash, and an auto thereon, left us at the gates of this huge, beautiful building at 4 PM. From the outside, it was immensely impressive and imposing - maybe of 9 or 10 floors, exquisitely constructed. As we walked the lawns to reach the Main Entrance, the interest in us was bubbling. (Caution: Handbags, Cameras are strictly prohibited. Even waterbottles are not allowed inside the halls.) There is a 5-feet bronze statue of Mr CN Annadurai, in whose name and honour this library is built. This is the Tamilnadu Chief minister Mr M Karunanidhi's pet project and he, as usual, has ov